(Kids in Action Now)
The goal of K.A.N. is to involve kids (grades 3rd through 6th) in the helping ministries of our church, first by learning about specific programs and then by participating in activities to support those programs. We combine these activities with some fun too! It is amazing to see the impact these caring young souls have on the helping ministries of our church when we let them contribute their boundless energy and enthusiasm.
While allowing kids to get involved in helping others, K.A.N. also develops what we hope will be a lifelong understanding of outreach programs and possibilities within the church. An added benefit for the kids is getting to know the adults in our church who are dedicated to making these helping programs work. These young people are at the perfect age to catch on fire with our Wesleyan heritage of reaching out to those in need, and we’re very excited to offer them this opportunity to experience the joy of serving Christ in our world. The entire LUMC family provides overwhelming support for K.A.N., which is received with deep gratitude.
Right from the start, in September of 2008, K.A.N. established strong connections with several projects, with many more projects being added through the years.
- Church World Service School Kits – Sewing bags in assembly line fashion, the kids have been known to turn out 300 kits in short order!
- Lansing Food Pantry – Helping out with advertising and donation collection throughout the Lansing community for the Feinstein Grant opportunity.
- CROP Hunger Walk – Helping with advertising.
- Christmas Giving Tree – Creating special ornaments to accompany gift tags for the Giving Tree.
- Haiti Education – Sponsoring over six years of education (so far!) for a Haitian student who is now completing high school.
- Nothing But Nets – Raising awareness and money to send over 500 insecticide-treated bed nets to Africa to save lives through the UMC’s anti-malaria initiative.
- Habitat for Humanity – Enriching the Tompkins-Cortland chapter of Habitat for Humanity through special signage, fundraising assistance, and thank you gift support for the Women Build weekend.
- Woodsedge Senior Living – Making soup mixes and visiting the residents of Woodsedge on a regular basis for an afternoon of games and fun. A great time is enjoyed by all!
- Rummage Sale – Helping behind the scenes (or out front!) with the famous Fall and Spring sales!
We want to extend an invitation to all third-sixth graders to participate in Kids in Action Now! Our meetings are held monthly during the school year at Lansing United Methodist Church on Sunday evenings from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
We genuinely hope your child will be able to join us! And their friends are always welcome! It’s a great outlet for kids who enjoy making a positive difference in their community and world with their friends.
For more information please contact
the church office at (607) 533-4070.